Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I was in SPAIN!

Hey everyone!
Sorry I haven't posted in so long. I had finals, then graduation, then I went to Spain! I have a new recipe to post but it will have to wait for a couple weeks for technical difficulties.
However! In the meantime, I just got back from a trip to Barcelona and Granada Spain so I'm going to make a list of my impressions of spanish food.

  •  When in Spain you should probably stick to Italian food. 
    •  They have really good pizza and pasta if you can find it. I had a pizza with onion, pear, tomatoes, goat cheese and honey. I know it sounds disgusting but I'm going to try to make it here because it was delicious!
    • Spanish food is actually not very good at all haha or healthy. The don't have a lot of fresh stuff and they eat a lot of meat and fried things! Who would've thought?!
  • When in Spain, go to Granada and do a "tapas crawl"
    • I invented this word, but basically Granada, Spain was one of the coolest places I've ever been and if you go to a restaurant or cafe and order anything (even just a water!) they bring you a free tapas. You don't get to pick but normally it's pretty good and it's free!
    • So basically just go around to different cafe's ordering drinks and you will be full after about 4 free tapas!
  • When in Spain, expect to eat a lot of ham.
    • These people love their ham. It's on everything: pizza, toast, vegetables, it's even served by itself on a plate as a tapa.
    • I witnessed a small child point at a dead pig hanging outside a restaurant and the server smiled and chopped off a piece and handed it to the delighted child like it was a lollipop. The whole thing was very strange. I don't get it, but if you go to spain, I hope you like ham.
  • When in Spain, Tapa and Sangria yourself.
    • Sangria is delicious. It tastes actually a little spiced cider-ish. But really I drank Sangria at ever meal and they have cool straws with spoons on the end to eat the fruit with.
    • Tapas are the best invention for a picky eater like me. They're basically like small appetizers and you just order a bunch and share. You get to try a bit of whatever and you get to share it so if you don't like something hopefully your companion does, and it helps you avoid ordering a bunch of stuff you'll never eat. I was a big fan of tapas.
  • When in Spain (or really anywhere in Europe), eat Ketchup Chips and gelato daily.
    • Ketchup chips- I love them, you will love them. They taste like french fries, just trust me. 
    • Gelato- I don't need to explain this concept but you will get fat if you do this daily probably but I really happen to think that once you explain to people the 50 extra pounds is from daily gelato they will just be extremely jealous.
  • When in Granada, try a Churro
    • but not just anywhere or it may suck. There are key places that have the best ones so ask around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment