Monday, February 4, 2013

Cinnamon Apple Chips

This is another recipe that I used my dehydrator for and I'm sorry because I know not every normal 20 something year old has a dehydrator and I originally made this blog for people my age who were not huge cooks, so I apologize. But! you can do this in the oven. here's a good recipe: apple chips in oven. Apple chips are a great snack and they curb that potato chip craving. I also dehydrated strawberries (just slice, no pre-treating necessary) but an entire lb of fresh berries made 1/4 jar of dehydrated slices and the taste and texture was not appetizing plus they took FOREVER to slice up. I suggest just eating your berries fresh.

 

Apple Chips
  • 4-5 apples (or more if you have a bigger dehydrator, I used gala apples)
  • Cinnamon
  • apples in my steamer
  • (optional: lemon juice)
  1. Core and slice apples in fairly uniform thickness (Mine were about 1/4" thick). I didn't peel my apples because I like the crunchy peel but you can if you want.
  2. Pre-treat apples (this can be done a couple ways and helps preserve flavor and color)
    1. Steam- this is what I did. I just threw them in my steamer basket for 5 minutes.
    2. Lemon juice- Put them in a mixture of 4 cups of water + 2tbsp lemon juice for a couple minutes
  3. Use a paper towel to blot them dry then load them onto dehydrator trays
  4. Sprinkle a little cinnamon over the top of the slices
  5. Dehydrate until done. I would give a time but it all depends on your dehydrator. Mine does it in about 7 hours. To check if they're done they should break when you bend them sharply. Also if you tear the fruit you shouldn't see any moisture in the part of the fruit that's torn. Another way to check is to put a few warm slices in a ziploc bag squeeze out most of the air and wait a couple minutes to see if condensation forms. If it does they need more time in the dehydrator.
  6. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place (I use Mason Jars or recycled pasta sauce jars)

No comments:

Post a Comment