Thursday, August 15, 2013

Easy Banana Muffins! (GF/DF)

So today I was going to finally use those overripe bananas that I've been storing in the freezer to make banana bread. Then I realized, I don't have a bread loaf pan...so I decided to make banana muffins! Some people know this (but my blog is for the beginner!) but overripe bananas are the best to use for baked goods. When your bananas get too ripe to eat (the outsides black) but they're not rotten, throw them in the freezer and defrost them for your next banana bread or in this case banana muffins! They turned out pretty good. I did mine the gluten-free and vegan way but that's because we ran out of eggs (but not flax powder go figure haha this is my life now) and I can't eat dairy or gluten. If you don't do it gluten free or vegan, use an egg instead of the "flax egg", and use normal flour in place of the gluten-free all purpose flour. So easy either way! Which is just the way I like my muffins. The nice thing about this recipe is it's so flexible you can just keep adding ingredients (cinnamon, raisins, chocolate chips, yogurt chips, etc!)
I forgot to take a picture so this one will have to do

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup chopped nuts OPTIONAL (I used walnuts)
  • 3 ripe bananas (if you're bananas were frozen or not extremely over ripe, pop them in the microwave for a bit so you can easily mash them)
  • 1 "flax egg" or 1 egg ***
  • 1/3 c vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
***you can make an easy and healthy substitute for eggs in baking. For substituting one egg- take 1 tbsp of ground flax powder (if you have flax seeds you can put them in a food processor to grind them up yourself) then ADD 3 tbsp of water (the water HAS to come 2nd). Mix then set in fridge for 15 minutes until consistency is thick and somewhat...well...egg-like.



 Steps:
  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl mash bananas then add remaining wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients and mix well.
  3. Spoon into muffin cups filling about 1/2-3/4 of the way full.
  4. Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
  5. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. These are amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing. We've been GF for almost 2 years and this is the first muffin that we love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also subbed the bananas for a can of pumpkin. YUM!

    ReplyDelete