Thursday, November 29, 2012

Chunky Fleechky (yes you read that right)

So this is a truly original recipe. Don't bother googling it, no matter how you try spelling it, you won't find it haha (trust me I tried already). I don't know how long exactly this recipe has been in my family. I'm pretty sure its a Czechoslovakian recipe but it could be Irish. It's a great recipe if you have leftover ham.
I made mine in a frying pan but an electric griddle is the best thing to make it in. As you make this recipe you're probably going to be like, this doesn't look right...and that means that you've perfected it. It's the weirdest recipe and it's not going to seem delicious until you take a bite and then you'll be very surprised. I tested it on the boyfriend last night and I even made sure I burnt the crap out of it and he still liked it and was asking for more. (yes this is another plus to this recipe- the more you burn it the better it tastes, its pretty much foolproof). This recipe is also perfect for me because it's so cheap (cabbage is 64 cents!), it's pretty much impossible to mess it up and it doesn't take long at all to make.

Yes, this is ugly food but didn't your mama tell you not to judge a book by its cover!


Ingredients (serves 2)
*The amount of all of these is flexible- again this recipe is pretty much foolproof so just use these as a guideline

  • Ham (about 1/2 cup, cut in small cubes, more or less depending on how much ham you want)
  • Cabbage (1/2 head diced in small pieces)
  • Onion (1/2, diced)
  • Medium egg noodles (about 2 cups cooked)
  • Ketchup (this is a must! In fact we didn't have any and I ran to the store mid-cooking to pick some up)
  • Butter or oil
Steps:
  1.  Boil water and cook noodles al dente (basically soft but still firm, use the minimum cooking time on the package as a guide)
  2. Put about 1 tbs of butter (or a little oil) in a frying pan (or electric skillet), then add cabbage. Let cabbage cook down until its soft.
  3. If you are not doing this in an electric skillet, saute your onions in a separate pan then add them to the cabbage. If you are doing this in an electric skillet add onions and let them cook until they're transparent. 
  4. Add your ham and cooked noodles to the pan
  5. Fry the crap out of everything. Don't burn it all the way black but crispy edges and brown bits make this dish better (for my family at least but we're probably weird)
  6. Enjoy (and serve with ketchup- I squirt mine liberally over the top of it all! SO good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment