Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tomato and Goat cheese sort-of panini

I'm not a sandwich person- too much bread. But this is my favorite thing to make for lunch. EVER. Tweak it all you like and have fun with it. Mine varies according to what I have in my refrigerator but the basics are still there.



Ingredients:
  • pita  bread
  • greens of some sort (I use baby spring mix)
  • goat cheese
  • balsamic vinaigrette (I make my own with olive oil, honey, balsamic vinegar and a little garlic powder)
  • tomatoes (sliced large ones or sometimes I split in half cherry or grape tomatoes)
  • prosciutto (if you want the protein- I've done it before and it's delicious but prosciutto isn't really one of those staples in most households haha)
  • 2 tbs chopped onion
Steps:
  1. Put a little oil in a frying pan and add chopped onions and saute (if you don't know what that means its basically pushing them around so they don't burn until they turn somewhat see through and flimsy)
  2. Slice your pita bread in half then seperate the top and bottom to form a kind of pocket (See picture). I don't like that much bread but if you do you could just use two whole pieces of pita for a top and bottom instead of splitting one into a pocket.
  3. layer greens, goat cheese, tomatoes, onions and anything else inside of pita pocket then drizzle a little balsamic vinaigrette. (If you'd rather you can keep out vinaigrette and just dip your sandwich later)
  4. Put your two pita pockets in the already greased and hot pan and cook (flip every now and then and squish down with your spatula)
  5. ***If you have a george forman*** put the pita pockets on your george foreman and squish down the lid, watch carefully so they don't burn
  6. DONE! Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment